Super Mario Passes $1 Billion Worldwide
The money machine that won’t stop continues to dominate the box office results domestically and abroad. In its fourth weekend, The Super Mario Bros. Movie collected $40 million — a drop of just 30% — to raise its domestic total to $490 million. Its weekend total also marks the best fourth weekend for an animated film ever, besting previous record holder The Incredibles 2’s $28.2M, per Deadline.
Mario jumped past the $1 billion mark worldwide thanks to a $68.3M weekend overseas. He opened big in Japan, grossing $14.3M — the biggest opening in the country for Illumination/Universal. Any guesses as too high how Mario will fly in the weeks ahead? Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 may steal some of its thunder this weekend, but there’s a curious lack of family films on the horizon. So, who knows?
Evil Dead Rise dipped 65% as expected but has still earned $44.4M after two weeks. New release, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret collected $6.8M from 3,343 venues, while the action epic Sisu and Big George Foreman scored $3.25M and $3M, respectively.
Surprisingly, the 40th Anniversary rerelease of Return of the Jedi totaled an impressive $4.7M atom 475 theaters — an incredible $10,300 per screen average.
Domestic Box Office Results: April 30, 2023
- Super Mario Bros Movie (Ill/Uni) 4,204 (-146) theaters, Fri $8.9M (-37%) Sat $18.2M Sun $12.8M 3-day $40M (-33%), Total $490M/Wk 4
- Evil Dead Rise (NL) 3,417 (+15) Fri $3.6M (-65%) Sat $5.2M Sun $3.4M 3-day$12.2M (-50%) Cume $44.4M/Wk 2
- Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret (LG) 3,343 theaters Fri $2.25M Sat $2.4MSun $2.1M 3-day $6.8M /Wk 1
- John Wick: Chapter 4 (LG) 2,481 (-204) theaters, Fri $1.22M (-21%) Sat $2.1MSun $1.6M 3-day $5M (-23%), Total $175.65M/Wk 6
- Return of the Jedi (Dis) 475 theaters Fri $1.77M Sat $1.7M Sun $1.2M 3-day $4.7M, Lifetime cume $314M/Wk 1 of re-release
- Dungeons & Dragons (Par/eOne) 2,709 (-251) theaters, Fri $1M (-29%) Sat $1.86M Sun $1.24M 3-day $4.1M (-25%), Total $88.1M/Wk 5
- Air (AMZ) 2,402 (-421) theaters Fri $1M (-32%) Sat $1.8M Sun $1.18M 3-day$4M (-27%), Total $47.6M/Wk 4
- Ponniyin Selvan: Part Two (FDN) 600 theaters, Fri $1.78M Sat $1.25M Sun $783K 3-day $3.8M/Wk 1
- Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant (MGM) 2,631 (+20) Fri $959K (-58%) Sat $1.56M Sun $1.09M 3-day $3.61M (-43%) Total $12.2M/ Wk 2
- Sisu (LG) 1,006 theaters Fri $1.4M, Sat $1.1M Sun $761K 3-day $3.25M/Wk 1
- Big George Foreman (Sony) 3,054 theaters, Fri $1M, Sat $1.15M Sun $825K 3-day $3M/Wk 1